Best of Birmingham - Part 1: The Rogger/Junner's Guide

I'm a runner. 

Actually, I suppose I'm really more of a jogger.

BUT sometimes I do go fast (I swear) - so we'll say that I am actually a Rogger. Or a Junner. Either one. 

Walking is also cool and I do that too, but I can't figure out a witty way to combine all three of those words, so....

I digress. In my opinion, Rogging/Junning serves two distinctly different purposes. 

First and foremost, of course, is fitness. 

Secondly, and perhaps even more importantly, is to get in touch with the world around me. Moving about at a 6 mile/hr. pace allows you to see practically everything and anything. And the best part is, when you see something really great, it doesn't take much effort to stop, ponder, and perhaps even take a picture. This is the biggest difference I see between driving and rogging/junning/walking - when you're in a car and you see something amazing (like that absolutely crazy billboard on I-10 or the picturesque windmill that came out of nowhere): you're already well past it before you realize how totes cool that thing actually was. And unless you're willing to find the next exit, pull over, or make a series of left turns - no picture. No time to stop and enjoy. Sad face. 

So, no matter where I am, I try to move my feet around as much as possible. 

These are my feet.










Ok. Moving on to Birmingham.



Here are some highlights from the last three days of Rogging/Junning in Birmingham. 


Birmingham Botanical Gardens. It's free!
Ringing the Friendship Bell at Birmingham Botanical Gardens. 
I love nature so much I decided to hug this tree. 




Jemison Park to Overton Park. Mountain Brook, AL. 

I had to ford this river between Jemison Park and Overton Park.
I lost two oxen and someone in my family contracted dysentery.
 Bad day.



The Old Mill as seen from Jemison Park Trails. 


Railroad Park Trails. Downtown Birmingham.

Bouldering Sphere at Railroad Park. 
View of the industrial area from Railroad Park. 

































More Best of Birmingham to come. 


SwissMissD

Comments

  1. You crack me up! Did I catch a reference to the Oregon Trail game?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink

Les Chateaux!