Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink

It's a good thing running and walking are my number one way to see the world because sampling local cuisine comes in at a very close second.

So, to finish out my Best of Birmingham posts (at least for now... a mind altering post on Urban Renewal is sure to be in the works after my next visit), let's take a look at my favorite establishments for food and drink.


(Also, I'm getting better at this whole blogging thing... so you'll begin finding links to the places I mention.)

You're welcome. :)



First, if you know me at all, you probably know that my most widely consumed food or drink is, by far, coffee.

I love it. I can't get enough of it. And I metabolize it quickly so I can drink it all day long without getting crazy (crazier?).

In Birmingham, it just so happens that my favorite cup of coffee can also be found at my favorite - EVER - brunch spot. Chez Lu Lu.

Maybe it's just the Parisian decor, the mismatched tea cups, or the velvet cushioned window seats - but I love this place and I make it a must stop any Sunday I am in town.

Mmmm....coffee.
I love it.
Du pain. (That's "bread", y'all.)
Oatmeal
Peach Crepe


Breakfast Du Jour - Eggs Florentine with Cheddar Grits and Fruit Salad. 
Along with the wonderfully smooth Royal Cup brews, they offer a Breakfast Du Jour ("of the day"), a Crepe menu with stables and seasonal varieties, and a selection of bakery items from The Continental Bakery, jointly owned and operated right next door.















































For lunch, I like to sample one of Birmingham's wide variety of local chain restaurants. My favorites thus far are: Newk's Eatery (3 locations in the Birmingham area) and, most recently, The Little Donkey (it actually only has one location but is owned by the founders of Jim n' Nicks).  Newk's is a sandwich and soup shop with counter ordering and table delivery - sort of Panera Bread menu meets McAllister's set up. I especially appreciate the free, unlimited breadsticks and relish bar, the Grilled Steak sandwich, and Lobster Crab Bisque. As for the Little Donkey, the location is ideal (situated right next to Octane Coffee and Steel City Pops flagship location). My favorite menu items so far are the Queso and Guacamole - fresh, simply prepared, and flavorful.

Speaking of Steel City Pops and Octane - these are popular Homewood (suburban BHam) hangouts. Octane offers a wonderfully smooth dripped coffee that is certainly worth the wait but I'm especially fond of Steel City, whose popsicle flavors include everything from traditional strawberry to avocado.


The Avocado Popsicle @Steel City Pops. Photo from July 2012 visit.



Pointing to Switzerland on the popsicle stick map during this July's visit.






































Thanks to my good friend Perry (he knows any and everywhere to visit in the greater Birmingham area), I've also had the opportunity to explore some other local and lesser known lunch time favorites. On my most recent visit, Klingler's in Vestavia really stood out. A European Bakery and Cafe, Klingler's specializes in German fare and has an authentic atmosphere - creepy cuckoo clocks, Neuschwanstein Castle posters, and all. I've had only one visit thus far, but I started a love affair with a sticky bun filled with Bavarian cream.

Now we get to the really exciting bit of the Birmingham food scene - Dinner time. Along with all of the wonderful eateries I've already highlighted in this post, Birmingham has some of the best fine dining restaurants in the Southeast. In fact, they're so darn good that the Zagat guide named Birmingham one of the seven Up and Coming Food Cities in the US. More here. Not too shabby.

Let's start with Stitt.

Legendary Chef Frank Stitt has an international reputation and owns and operates three restaurants in downtown Birmingham. His awards and accolades are numerous, including the James Beard award for best chef in the Southeast in 2001.

I've been fortunate (with the help of "knows-it-all" Perry) to visit all three restaurants over my previous two visits to Birmingham (July 2012 and March 2013). But unfortunately for me, I can't find a single picture. I'd bet I was so wrapped up in the food that I just couldn't spare a second to take a photo. And that's fine. Trust me, it was fabulous. Here are my highlights, in written form.
Highlands Bar and Grill - Chef Stitt's first BHam restaurant and the one he is best known for. The Beef Carpaccio is the best thing I have ever eaten. Literally.
Bottega - Italian fusion. We visited the Cafe side, known for it's pizza and more relaxed atmosphere. We ran into Mrs. Chef Frank Stitt, Pardis, who manages the space. I had a wonderful pizza with prosciutto and some scrambled egg mixture in the sauce. At the time I remember thinking, "This pizza is pretty good, but not memorable." But then, after having the leftovers as a cold breakfast, I completely fell for it and now I think of it often. A little too often, actually. Weird.
Chez Fon Fon - French fusion restaurant. The best charcuterie I've had to date, and a Croque Madame (that's a fancy ham and cheese with fried egg, y'all) to die for. Figuratively, of course.


And now on to our latest fine dining adventure. My Birmingham "Bon Voyage" meal before heading to PA at the crack of dawn the following morning - Chef Chris Hastings Hot and Hot Fish Club.

Chef Hastings had a big year in 2012, not only did he compete in and win an episode of Iron Chef against notorious Chef Bobby Flay, but he also was awarded the James Beard Award for Best Chef in the Southeast.
So, we had to go. For reals.

First, take a look at this incredible table setting.

 You know you're sitting in a nice place when you can see straight through the crystal to the handcrafted pottery that is holding the freshly ground pepper and herbed sea salt. Just sayin'. 

And now for the food.

To start I sampled some local cheeses - including a 2012 award winner for best soft ripened cheese in America (2nd from Left). That one was my favorite along with the bleu cheese (far right).



And the entree:

Local chicken over grits with arugula and sweet corn.
That dish was a shining example of the balance of salt (crisped skin) and pepper (arugula) as well as savory (grits) and sweet (corn). Perfection!

And lastly, dessert.

I ordered the chocolate soufflé which came presented with a wonderful send off message. I was afraid if I waited long enough to take a picture, the soufflé would collapse...so....

All gone. 


What I love most about all of these fine dining restaurants is the emphasis on seasonality and locality. Both Chef Stitt and Chef Hastings are known for their "Farm to Table" philosophies and the menu is ever changing with what is available and fresh at the moment.

In keeping with the keep it local mindset, I'll close with a highlight of one other Birmingham favorite - Jones Valley Teaching Farm - an urban farm located on three and a half acres downtown.

Along with appearances at markets throughout the city, Jones Valley has a produce stand on site that operates on the honor system. You simply deposit your cash payment in the box inside.




Heirloom tomatoes at Jones Valley Farm.


Au revoir, Birmingham!

SwissMissD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Les Chateaux!