First Fondue on a Friday = Fun!

I finally had my first fondue. On a Friday. And it was fabulous. And fun.
 
Ok, enough with the alliteration. :)




Here's how it occurred.

Everyone here talks about "Getting Off the Mountain" in very serious hushed tones.
Well seasoned teachers will pull you aside in the hallway, give you words of encouragement about surviving the year and then whisper,

"Seriously, Kelly, you need to get off the mountain whenever you can. Just get off the mountain."


Every time someone does this it reminds of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."  It's like some secret Voodoo ritual thing that no one likes to talk about out loud.

Or it's just that we live in a really small village in the Alps with only one road in and one road out and it is very easy to feel trapped up in the "bubble" that is Leysin. Actually, LAS is kind of a bubble inside that bubble. And, because I live in the main campus building which I also teach in and where the cafeteria is, it's like the bubble inside the bubble inside the bubble.

And of course add to that that Switzerland is a kind of landlocked island (a non-EU country surrounded by the EU and locked in by mountains), it's sort of like I am in a bubble in a bubble in a bubble in a bubble. 

So yeah, getting of the mountain brings the bubble factor down by at least three and it's important.
That being said, I got way off the mountain last weekend, visited a Glacier, hiked to it, and had my first fondue.

Now the truth.

I didn't absolutely love this fondue. I think there was too much Kirsch in it (or so my travel companion conjectures), so I'm believing that for the time being and hoping for better fondue experiences ahead.


I did get a good laugh while having my picture taken while attempting to eat it - it's very runny and can make quite a mess. Even though I was embarrassed by the shot at the time, it ended up being my favorite photo from the trip.







More later.

A la prochaine,

SwissMissD




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink

Les Chateaux!