What a Difference ...

... a Day Week Makes


Weeks sometimes feel like days. And sometimes like years.
There is so much going on here with work, duty, activities, friends, fitness, and fun that time really flies by. But at the same time I feel like I'm packing so much experience into such a small space that I am convinced that the two months I've lived here are somehow equivalent to several years worth of my past.

This struck me the most over the last week - due in part to the dramatic climate change in Leysin.

Last Saturday, I woke up to loads of snow that had been accumulating for the previous two days. The trees were covered, the mountains snow capped, and the trails white and crisp.


I had planned my first ever horseback riding experience with my friend and her mother who was visiting for the weekend. We had one hour with three very pleasant Swiss horses. Mine was named Alex. We traveled on part of the Hesana trail in Leysin and encountered some of the most beautiful scenery you can imagine for a Saturday in October.

That's me in the black jacket enjoying my first ever horseback ride.



The following day, we took the telecabine to the top of our mountain (Berneuse) and found ourselves knee deep in powder. I was unprepared and was wearing my Asics trainers - but the snow was so fresh and powdery that it didn't stick or melt. I returned home with dry shoes and a huge grin.

Top: Looking very hip in the Kuklos revolving restaurant on top of Berneuse.
Bottom: Slipping around in the knee deep snow.



A week has passed since my October Winter Wonderland experiences - and I knew we were about to have sunny weather - so I planned to bike part of Lac Leman this weekend. It was incredibly sunny, bright blue skies, true t-shirt weather. When I returned to Leysin the sun was still shining here and it felt reminiscent of my first sun-filled weeks here in the mountains in August.

Cycling Lac Leman - Chateaux de Chillon in the background. 


To say that the scenery was remarkable over the last week is a huge understatement. I can't begin to explain what it feels like to slip around the snow covered streets of Leysin in your ballet flats one weekend and then bask in the sunshine the next.

What a difference a week makes....shots of the Alps taken only one week apart. 


That's all for now.

A la prochaine,

SwissMissD



Comments

  1. It's great keeping up with your blog, I can tell you're enjoying your times in Switzerland. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Ms. D.
    -Noah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink

Les Chateaux!