Poland Summer 2016 Recap

Finally a few photos and thoughts from Poland


I'm not sure exactly where the time goes anymore.

I have been wanting to write a recap of my summer stop in Poland since last September. But alas, months have gone by and now I have other adventures I could write about as well as some important news to share!

First, Poland. Then the news.

Me in Gdansk, Poland

After being back in Switzerland for a while and having time to reflect, I think I can say definitively that Poland was my favorite stop of the summer. It started off a bit rocky (a hair-raising flight from Lithuania to a very flooded Gdansk, Poland) and ended in similar fashion (a stolen phone in Krakow), but aside from the bookends, the trip was brilliant.

I traveled to Gdansk first, skipping the capital altogether in exchange for a peak at the architecture of Poland's most well known Hanseatic port town. I loved the architecture, the people, and shopping for Baltic amber.

The highlight of the the trip was a visit to the Solidarity Museum, which gave me an excellent glimpse into the history of this important political movement that led to the eventual fall of communism.

Hanseatic Architecture
Solidarity Museum, Gdansk


Next, I traveled to Krakow, where the highlight of the trip was definitely the food. In addition to the golumpki and pierogi I ate in mass in Gdansk, in Krakow I enjoyed street food stalls and a food walking tour where I sampled: more pierogi, cakes, obwarzanki (Krakovian Pretzel/Bagel Things), fresh fruits from the local market, soup, and Polish sausage, amongst other items.  Some pictures below.

Nearing the end of the walking food tour - I was stuffed. 


Golumpki in Gdanski

Obwarzanki Stand - You can only get these in Krakow!

The last of the Obwarzanki from this gentleman.
Pierogi in Gdansk. 

Street Food in Krakow. 


Now for some news: Perhaps 'SwissMissD' will need a new name soon...

I am moving to Osaka, Japan, this August to start a new chapter of my life there! Get ready for some new adventures, photos, and posts!

That's all for now,

SwissMissD


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Les Chateaux!

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink