Where in the world is SwissMissD?

She's outside, y'all.

I realized this last Sunday when I did a load of laundry that consisted only of base layers, smart wool, and running gear.



First - Skiing.

As you may already know, I am fortunate to be working at a school that makes outdoor education a part of the curriculum, meaning that in the winter months we have two shortened class days for the sole purpose of school-wide skiing in the afternoons. So, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from January-March I teach for 2-3 hours, eat a light lunch, change into my gear, and then catch one of our school owned buses to the lift about a mile down the road. To say I am fortunate to spend my time this way is a huge understatement. 

Also as a beginner skier, the schedule is ideal. With the ability to enjoy the snow a minimum of 2 days a week (4 if I get out on the weekends), my progression has been steady and I don't feel in any rush to prove myself or cram everything into a one week holiday.

Below are a few shots from skiing Leysin and Rougemont/Gstaad.

First Day of Skiing - The Rope Tow
Getting better!

Gstaad, Swizterland
Spatzli in Gstaad.
LAS Ski Day. (aka "prepare to momentarily dislike me")
A few weeks ago, the school called a "ski day" (think snow day in the US, but called for sport instead of safety). At 845am, at the end of the first period, we received a school wide announcement to gear up and hit the slopes. Classes cancelled. Sun shining. Fresh Snow. Have fun. And I did - for six hours - on the school time and dime. :)

LAS SKI DAY!!!! On the lift.


Then of course there is snowshoeing and hiking. Every Thursday evening in Leysin there is a public "race" to Les Fers, a popular restaurant situated at the top of one of our lifts. It's 4km one way, and you can traverse however you want - touring skis, snow shoes, running gear -  and once you get to the top you can enjoy one of the traditional swiss dishes on the special Thursday evening menu. From there it's an easy 4km trek back down the mountain. I've gone on this hike twice and it is one of my favorite things to do.

Along with curling, tobogganing, ice skating, running, and more there really is no shortage of things to do this time of year!

I hope you are enjoying your winter as much as I am!

A la prochaine,

SwissMissD



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink

Les Chateaux!