On Turning the Big 3-0

Over spring break I turned 30. The big 3-0.

It's not at all what I expected when I was looking forward from age 18, 21, or 25.

It's a lot better.

Some thoughts and realizations:


Drop the notion that you're going to be the best 'this, that, or the other' and just be who you are.

It's taken me a long time to let go of the fact that I'm never going to have some kind of worldwide success. I've always struggled with the knowledge that I'm generally "just good" at a whole lot of stuff instead of someone who is "the best" at something. Over time I've learned to appreciate that being well rounded and generally knowledgeable is actually pretty cool. It means that when a student wants to talk about John Adams the 2nd president and/or John Adams the modern composer I'm ready to go either way. And it means that I can plan a vacation, play an instrument, bake banana bread, go for a run, teach my classes, and spend time with friends in one day without flinching. In fact, I'm pretty sure I like being a jack of all trades a lot better than sticking with one thing all the time. 

Do what you love, the rest will come.

If you had asked me ten years ago what I'd be doing right now, I certainly wouldn't have said I'd be living in Europe, traveling and learning about the world, and teaching students from 60 countries. As a college student studying music education, I just didn't think or know it was possible. But here I am. So keep doing what you do. With the right motivation and work ethic, doors will open.

Surround yourself with people that give you energy and learn to negotiate around the ones who don't.

I'm never going to stay completely clear of people who get the best of me. So, the first thing I have to do is recognize who those people are, work with them as professionally as I can, appreciate their differences and just try to go with the flow. On top of that, if you surround yourself in your personal/social time with people who support you and make you feel secure you'll be more able to handle the others.

Always make time for creativity.

It's easy to give up your hobbies when you're in a foul mood, but really and truly, it's a great way to get out of the rut and to stay in touch with the world around you. Create something as often as possible, whether it be a painting, a poem, or a home cooked meal.

"Lifestyle" means a lot more than "exercise" or "diet."

Even though I've always had an affinity for exercise and nutrition, I didn't really understand "lifestyle" until I moved to Switzerland. This is partly because I have been able to find a better balance between personal and professional here (no offense to my wonderful Choctawhatchee family, but as you can imagine, I'm at work a whole lot less now). It also has great deal to do with the incredible athletes I'm surrounded by up here on the mountain, the scenery, and the ample opportunities for all kinds of sport. It's hard not to be motivated with such beauty outside your door.


It's totally ok that you haven't found "the one" yet.

I recently read an article that sums this up perfectly. When you think of how many Wednesday evening meals, vacations, mundane mornings, and huge life events you're going to face with this person, it's totally acceptable that it's taking you a while to find him. I'd rather be one step away from the right thing than on the crazy spiral staircase of the wrong thing.

That's all for now.


A la prochaine,

SwissMissD















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink

Les Chateaux!