Summer 2014 Recap

Although I returned to Switzerland only two months ago, I feel like it has been ages since I went on my miraculous summer adventure. I got so deep into work so quickly (yes, friends, I really do work, I promise) that I just moved on to the next thing without taking a moment to reflect. This became really clear to me when I was on the phone with my mother a week ago.

She asked "How many countries have you been to since you moved? Your aunt and I counted and we think it's 11."

"No way!" I replied. "It's less than that, isn't it? Let me count."

"Italy (x2), England, Spain (x3), France, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, and this past weekend, Belgium. Oh, and Switzerland, of course." I said.

It's 10.

Mom and Aunt were counting my stopover in Moscow as the 11th, but I never left the airport.

And so, it is 10. Not bad for 14 months time.

I spent a bit that night going through my photos from the last 14 months of living abroad, and some extra time on those from this summer.

First, a quick summer schedule recap: I began my travel adventures in Spain, spending two weeks playing the trumpet with a wind band from the USA. I then spent 4 weeks in Tours, France, learning French at an immersion institute. Afterwards, I traveled to 5 European Capital Cities; Paris, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, and Budapest.

And now, after a long period of work and normality, I'm finally ready to recap the best of the best of the summer of 2014.

Below are some of my top picks and experiences.


Best Hostel: Sir Toby's Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic

My room at Sir Tobys.

My hostel experience is still quite limited, but I think I could safely say that Sir Toby's is probably one of the best in the world. Charming, quirky, and hip, complete with a fantastic bar, an outdoor area, free activities, dinner events and one of best breakfast buffets I've ever had, it is simply top notch. The rooms in Sir Toby's were once traditional Prague pre-war apartments and all the charm of the high ceilings and wooden floors is still there. The location is a little off the beaten path, but access to the central areas was really simple by public transport. I like it so much that I would consider staying in one of their private rooms as opposed to a traditional hotel.

The bar and outdoor patio (those are old sewing machine tables) at Sir Tobys. 

Best Outdoor Experience: Loire à Velo, Loire Valley, France


I had been planning to cycle through France's Loire Valley as soon as I decided on my French course in Tours. I was lucky to have a 3 day long weekend that I could escape from my studies and explore France's chateaux, sunflower fields, and the Loire. I encountered many interesting people, saw some beautiful French countryside, and enjoyed many a glorious meal after many a mile on the bike.

French Countryside. 

Getting ready to leave. Halfway point - Chinon- enjoying some wine!

Best Public Transportation: Paris, France

It should be no surprise that the world's most visited city also has the most accessible metro system for its throngs of tourists. I find it incredibly easy to get around to the different Quartiers/Arrondisements and even easier thanks to their well developed Paris Metro iPhone App. They also have easy to locate night buses for those folks heading to the airport at the crack of dawn or trying to make it home from a late night out (for me, only the former applied).

Best Bar: Sir Toby's Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic

I just loved this place and the simplicity of walking downstairs to enjoy some of the famous (and cheap) Czech beer and socialize with other world travelers.

Best Green Space: Les Jardins de Chateau Villandry, Villandry, France

I had, from the advice of many guidebooks and websites, chosen to only buy a pass to the gardens at Villandry and skip the castle completely. It was well worth it. I stopped at Villandry during my three day bike tour of the Loire valley and it was one of the highlights. I was so happy and enjoyed the views so much, I made a series of walking tour videos for my good friend Perry, who is perhaps the only person who would have loved it more than me.






  

Best Restaurant Food: Berlin, Germany

Leberkase, pretzel, potato salad, kraut, and beer. :)
German food is hearty and I ate plenty of it. I enjoyed visiting restaurants and the traditional food tent on the lake in Berlin's huge urban park, the Tiergarten. I also found a Street Food event at a local market that featured non traditional foodstuffs like steamed bun sandwiches. Yummy!










Best Street Food: Budapest, Hungary

Budapest has some great street food, especially in the central districts (V, Vi, Vii). It's fast, cheap, and AMAZING quality. In my time there I found one of the best sandwich shops I've ever been to, where I got a pressed sandwich and a homemade soft drink for the equivalent of about 3 euros. Within three blocks, there was a ramen noodle restaurant, a hummus bar, a burrito stop, and a great pizza place.


Best Coffee: Vienna, Austria

I will never say no to a "Whipped-Cream-Spilling-Over-The-Sides" Cafe Viennoise. Never.
That is all.


















Best Overall Service (restaurants, bars, and shops): Berlin, Germany 

Overall, the people in Berlin are just nice as can be. Even in moments of language barrier, such as my stop at the post office for stamps, there is always some helpful German willing to translate. I found the restaurant staff to be especially agreeable and very pleased to have visitors.

Best Buskers: Prague, Czech Republic

I was continually shocked and amazed by the talent on the streets of Prague. Ranging from costumed Medieval troubadours in the main square to a jug band on St. Charles bridge to a string quartet playing pop arrangements on a busy shopping street, I was constantly entertained.
Buskers on St. Charles Bridge. 


Best Shopping: Budapest, Hungary

Budapest is the best of two worlds: Western European retailers with Eastern European prices. And since it was my last stop before flying home, I was able to make plenty of purchases. 


Best Value: Budapest, Hungary

Anyone who has asked me about Budapest has gotten the same reply, "I couldn't spend my money there if I tried!" Everything from food, to transport, to clothes and gifts, were very cheap and high quality. 


Best Town Square: Prague, Czech Republic


An incredible sampling of centuries of architecture. Also, there was a jazz festival happening the first evening I was there and amazing buskers the next day. 

Best Overall Architecture: Paris, France

This is a hard one for me to explain, but I just adore the grandeur of everything Paris. The giant Eiffel Tower, the excessive number of bridges on the Seine, the giant rues, palaces, museums, the Sorbonne, the opulent Luxembourg Gardens, and everything in between. Although the march of progress has eliminated most of the nooks and crannies (you can still find some in Montmartre), Paris gives something that nowhere else has and is honestly difficult to explain.




Best Church: St. Vitus Cathedral, Prague, Czech Republic

Surprising to some, my favorite church of the 2014 tour was not the Notre Dame in Paris. For as impressive as the stained glass is and as iconic the photos, it simply cannot compare to the supremely Gothic St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague.



For more photos, please visit my albums!
Espana Concert Band Tour
Tours and the Loire Valley, France
Petit Tour de L'Europe

That's all for now.

A la prochaine,

SwissMissD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink

Les Chateaux!