When in Rome (and Vatican City)

In early November I was very lucky to visit Rome with some colleagues to attend a conference. Although the gathering left a lot to be desired (funny how a lack of WiFi can ruin an event focused on technology integration in education), the opportunity to roam around Rome in the evenings and chat with other educators made it all worthwhile.

An observation about Rome/Vatican City:
We spend a lot of time when traveling looking at eye level - e.g. examining artwork in a gallery, speaking to others, shopping - but what struck me about Rome is the things below and above that vantage point.

I'm talking about floors and ceilings. I was really in awe of the frescos, the tiled mosaic floors, and the dome roofs of some of Rome and Vatican City's most iconic buildings. So, along with a few "typical tourist shots" I'm including my favorite floor and ceiling views from the trip here (sorry but you won't see anything from the Sistine Chapel as photos are strictly prohibited inside).

Pantheon, Central Rome. My favorite religious building to date. 

Ceiling in the Pantheon.

Mosaic tile flooring in the Musee Vatican City.

In the hall of antiquities in Vatican City.
I find this picture humorous as I believe that it looks like some sort of Ancient Roman "selfie".

Hall of Maps in the Vatican City Museum. Seriously, look at that ceiling!

More mosaics in Vatican City. 

Vatican City.

Vatican City.



That's all for now.

A la prochaine,

SwissMissD





Comments

  1. Oh how we miss you especially today - the official start of FMEA conference! Rachel made 1st part All-State clarinetist :)

    We thoroughly enjoy reading about your travel adventures and wanted to share that Rachel fell flat on her face (at age 7 so it wasn't as embarrassing as it could have been :) while admiring the Sistine Chapel ceiling. We talk about it to this day and it's even in her journal from her first European visit.

    Time to come back and see you. Hope you are all better from your Budapest trip~ Mary Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Rose, how wonderful to hear from you! I am so excited for Rachel - a well deserved honor.

    I laughed out loud upon reading about Rachel's experience in Vatican city - I nearly had the same happen to me in the Pantheon - that building had a dizzying effect on me!

    I hope we can see each other again soon. All my best to you and the Hidalgo clan!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink

Les Chateaux!