Best of Berlin's Christmas Markets

It's officially 2015 and the holiday season is all wrapped up. I hope you all had a wonderful time with your family and friends, ate lots of goodies, shared stories, and celebrated a wonderful New Year.

To put a bow on my 2014 travel stories, here are some thoughts and highlights from a 48 hour whirlwind tour of the Christmas Markets (Weihnachtsmarkt) in Berlin, Germany. I was inspired to visit Berlin before flying to the USA after reading several articles boasting Berlin's 50+ annual markets, the German Christmas atmosphere, and the superb gifts and foods.

First, a little history: I visited Berlin in August and my December visit was entirely different. (Not unlike my Dental Tourism November versus August Music Festival travels to Budapest).

During my first visit to Berlin, I stayed at a very large hostel with lots of young people and spent my time enjoying a diverse mix of cultural sights and evening events with some local Berliner friends.

This time, however, I had one and only one purpose - to see as many of the Berlin Christmas Markets as possible in 48 hours. I also stayed at a smaller hostel which, as luck would have it, resulted in my having a 6-bed dorm room and bathroom entirely to myself for 3 whole nights (I know, I know, my luck was incredibly high that week).

So, how many markets did I make it to?  
Nine! 

And they were all over Berlin. Some markets took me to non-tourist areas that I otherwise may not have had a reason to see. That alone was a valuable part of the experience.

List of markets I ventured to:
Weihnachtsmarkt auf dem Alexanderplatz
Gendarmenmarkt Weihnachtsmarkt
Der Grosse Berliner - Alexa am Alexanderplatz
Spandau Weihnachtsmarkt
Schloss Charlottenburg Weihnachtsmarkt
Lucia Weihnachtsmarkt
Potsdamer Platz Weihnachtsmarkt
Nostalgicher Weihnachtsmarkt
Berliner Weihnachtsmarkt


How did the Markets measure up?

They were fantastic! This is easily one of my favorite trips to date and it really put me in a good mood for the holiday break. Not only were there lots of great gifts and tokens to buy for loved ones (and a few for myself, of course), but I also had great food (check out a short news story on my current favorite, Flammkuchen), met some nice local folks (seriously, Berliners are the NICEST people), and as I said, I got to see a lot of Berlin.

Below, some top experiences and photos to prove it!

Weihnachtsmarkt Highlights 2014

Giant Weihnachtspyramide (Christmas Pyramids)

I remember seeing small candle operated versions of these carousels in my grandparents' house growing up. They are a German woodworking speciality and were on sale everywhere. The giant Weihnachtspyramide could be found at nearly every market and often housed a snack bar or shop in the bottom floor. I was disappointed that I had such a small bag in my travels and couldn't buy any of the original ones while I was there, so I guess I'll just have to go back. 

Weihnachtspyramide at Potsdamerplatz and Alexanderplatz.

Close up at Alexanderplatz and a stunning night view at Charlottenburg Palace. 

Food

I love the hearty-ness of German fare. In particular, I'm incredibly fond of Flammkuchen, a pizza like treat hailing from Alsace consisting of dough, cream (creme fraiche), bacon, and onion or chives. It's a "high fat content food" lovers dream come true. Similarly, the Dresdner Handbrot combines the same flavors of Flammkuchen in a convenient stuffed bun form. 


Flammkuchen, Flammkuchen oven, and Dresdner Handbrot.

Another popular treat is Lebkuchen, essentially German Ginger Bread, which is commonly shaped into hearts and decorated for the holiday season. I purchased and loved a variety called Elisen-Lebkuchen, which includes a thin lazer of marzipan.


Lebkuchen


Ambience

From the live goats in the nativity scene in Spandau to the Swedish and Norwegian Christmas Treats at the Lucia Scandinavian market to the twinkling lights adorning nearly every building and the rides and games at Der Grosse Berliner - holiday cheer was simply everywhere in Berlin!


Holiday Cheer at markets and shopping centers. 

Amazingly beautiful evening at Charlottenburg Palace. 

Der Grosser Berliner - lots of rides and games at this Christmas Market!

That's all for now.

A la prochaine,

SwissMissD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates - November and beyond

Les Chateaux!

Best of Birmingham Part 2 - Food and Drink